Marta Robinet

Around the time of her trial and after, Calomiris was in a romantic relationship with the sister-in-law of her FBI handler, Marta Robinet.1 As mentioned in the last section, Calomiris was involved with Robinet when she published the book, Red Masquerade. Robinet likely influenced the written work as a journalist herself.

After Calomiris’ testimony in the Smith Act Trials, the couple travelled around Europe together. Eventually, they returned to the United States and bought a house in Wilton, Connecticut.2 They separated by the mid 1950s.

It is unclear the extent to which Robinet influenced Calomiris at the time of their relationship and after. In 1965, Calomiris received a letter from Robinet denouncing their romantic past.3 She kept the letter for thirty years until her death in 1995, and the letter now lives in Calomiris’ papers at the Lesbian Herstory Archives.

Angela Calomiris Special Collection, Box 3 Folder 12, Lesbian Herstory Archives.

I was out of character in the years of out association, yours and mine. I remember the friendship and our many good times– with affection. I remember the rest– with sorrow, regret and self-blame. 

You were my 3d child– could it have been established and maintained as simply and caringly as that, we probably would still be together. 

All I want is our recovery from the bitterness– your voice assured me that you are all right and you can be assured that I shall be, once this gall bladder chapter of my life is resolved.

I wish you well, always. Wish you a good Christmas and New Year.

I’m enclosing– because professionally, we were always a good team and should have made more of than we did, but that too is gone.

1. See chapter 12 of Lisa E. Davis’ book Undercover Girl.
  2. See chapter 12 of Lisa E. Davis’ book Undercover Girl.
  3. Angela Calomiris Special Collection, Box 3, Folder 12, Lesbian Herstory Archives.