若昕 Podcast Proposal

1. What is it you want to talk about? (It can be an object, a piece of music, a story, a family tradition, etc.)

I want to talk about a handmade doll, named “Stripe,” that has been with me since I was a baby.

1. What is the story behind it?

When I was born, my older brother had this doll, but he was not interested in it and I was, and it soon became my constant companion throughout childhood and beyond.

1. What does it say about you, your family, or the associated people?

When my family first moved from Texas to Vermont, the doll came with us. Then, as I got older, I tried very hard to assert my own individual identity, and have experiences outside and beyond my own family, traveling across the country and world by myself in the process. Throughout all of this, the doll, a physical token of my connection to my family, stayed with me, a material representation of my negotiation with my own past and future. 

1. How are you going to present this story? How are you going to engage the listeners throughout the podcast?
  1. Asking if my listeners have special objects from their childhoods
  2. Telling the story of how Stripe came to be mine
  3. Talking about some different places that Stripe traveled with me, and their significance
  4. Closing with what Stripe means to me after 20 years, and what comes next 
  1. Do you plan to interview other people? *(check the requirements of interviews below)

Probably not!

1. Prepare a few images to post along with your proposal on the WordPress site.

I do not have any images at the point, but my plan is to take pictures when I’m home over spring break!