Podcast Proposal – 安楠

Podcast Proposal

1. What is it you want to talk about? (It can be an object, a piece of music, a story, a family tradition, etc.)

I want to talk about one of my favorite singers growing up named Selena Quintanilla. I can pick a specific song if needed! My favorite songs from her is “No Me Queda Mas” and “Como Una Flor”. 

1. What is the story behind it?

I grew up listening to her music, though unfortunately by the time I was born, she had already passed away. She is significant to me because, like me, she is Mexican American. I think she is especially important to me because my mom and my grandma both also like listening to her, and her music is something we can all enjoy despite our generational and cultural differences. 

1. What does it say about you, your family, or the associated people?

Growing up, I had a lot of trouble with my identity, since I was Mexican-American I never knew whether I should identify as Mexican or American. Additionally, I felt that because I grew up in the US, I felt some disconnect from my grandma in Mexico, and even my own mom since she also grew up in Mexico. However, at the end of the day, all three of us can enjoy the same music from this singer, and that’s something that we all have in common. 

1. How are you going to present this story? How are you going to engage the listeners throughout the podcast?

• I will start with a question about a shared experience – are there any songs that you and your family all like to listen to together? 
  • Then I will introduce Selena, such as who she is (where she’s from, being Mexican-American, etc), what type of music she would sing, and her large popularity and tragic death. 
  • I will talk about how Selena ultimately helped me come to terms with my own identity of being Mexican-American. Selena’s music especially makes me feel connected to my culture and identity because it reminds me of my family, specifically my mom and grandma who also enjoy listening to Selena’s music. 
  • In the end, I want to talk about how proud I am that someone of a similar background as me was able to reach such levels of fame that Selena did. I will ask the listeners if they have any artists or music that has helped them figure out their identity and leave comments.

1. Do you plan to interview other people? *(check the requirements of interviews below)

I do not plan to, however I can briefly ask my mom and grandma what their favorite Selena song is.

1. Prepare a few images to post along with your proposal on the WordPress site.

安楠、安楠的妈妈、安楠的外婆在芝加哥的中国城