To Du Bois Williams, January 17, 1946

sheet music of Children You'll Be Called On
“Children You’ll Be Called On”

Children, you’ll be called on

To march in the field of bat-tle,

When this war-fare’ll be end-ed,

Hal-le-lu. (Sundquist, 504)

Transcript:

*********** 20 West 40th Street 

17 January 1946 

Dear Du Bois: 

I was very much pleased to get your letter this morning. You must remember that grandfathers are human and have their disappointments and discouragements and do not like to be forgotten. I am always interested in what you are doing and especially in your music. I want you to keep well and strong and determined to do a good job of living. Then too, you must begin to realize that the future of our family is going to depend very largely upon you; that you have got to take over the responsibility, understand and take care of your Mother and Grandmother. 

Grandmother is really making remarkable recovery. I was up there yesterday. She is walking a little without assistance and she is beginning to mover her arm and hand. If she keeps her good courage and sticks to this treatment for three or four more months she will be able to take care of herself largely, although she will never be entirely well or able to do anywhere near as much as she used to. 

I should be glad to have you come up and see me and we will try to take care of you. My love to yourself and your Mother. 

Very sincerely, 

[no signature]

P. S. You are beginning to write a very beautiful and neat letter. I am pleased.

Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963. Letter from W. E. B. Du Bois to Du Bois Williams, January 17, 1946. W. E. B. Du Bois Papers (MS 312). Special Collections and University Archives, University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries. https://credo.library.umass.edu/view/full/mums312-b112-i289.