To Mary Burghardt Du Bois, July 21, 1883

sheet music of I Hope My Mother Will Be There
“I Hope my Mother Will Be There”

I hope my mother will be there,

In that beautiful world on high (Sundquist, 521)

Transcript:

New Bedford July 21, 1883.

Dear Mam,

I arrived here safely friday after noon. It was just noon when I got to Hartford. After eating my lunch + buying my ticket I went up to the capitol which is but a little ways to the depot. The grounds are laid out beautifully and the [building] is magnificent. It consists of a main part and two wings. The main part is surrounded by a tower + dome, which, by the way, is gilded + upon this is a [bronzen] statue. As you go in the main entrance the first thing you see is a very large statue of a woman holding a wreath. On either side in cabinets are the different flags. The floor is of colored marble. The staircases are also of marble. There is a book to write your name there + of course my illustrious name is there. I looked into the chamber of the House of representatives. It is very nice. The chairs + desks are arranged in a semicircle. The chairmans seat is in the middle. In front are seats for the clerks + at the side for reporters. There is an elevator which anybody can go up + down in when they wish to. The whole building is frescoed splendidly. On the outside there are niches for statues. There is a picture gallery in the state library room. I cannot tell you ½ what I saw there. I did not go up in dome fearing that the train would leave me. When I came down to the depot + finding that I had a little time left I took a walk up a street near by. When I got back to the depot the train was gone, + [manager] told me there was no other to providence that afternoon. Imagine my situation! [lost] [illegible] I found out there was another train out on another road. So I had to sell my ticket which I paid $2.70 for, for $1.50 because I had my baggage checked on it + baggage [illegible] gone by the other train. At last I was on the way to providence. The railroad [runs] down parallel with the Connecticut river + the scenery is beautiful. I saw two or three steamers. After we had got to the coast I changed cars + to took the shore line. There the scenery was magnificent, the steamers, sailboat, the beautiful seaside [resorts] +c. I reached providence about 8 p.m. + there was no one to meet me, Sarah thinking that I would not come because I did not come on the other train. I asked a policeman + he directed to her residence. Providence is a very nice city + I like it very much.

I went around a good deal what little time I was there.

Sarah has a very nice little cottage. I saw the soldier’s monument + I will tell you about it when I come. I started on the 8 A.M. train for N.B. + arrive there about 11 A.M. There was no one to greet me + I was mad, very mad. In fact if I could got hold of some one I should have hurt them. But I didn’t, by inquiries I found the house which is about half a mile from the depot. The house is white with green blinds + the yard is full of flower gardens. Grandma is about my color + taller than I thought. I like her very much. Grandpa is short + rather thick set. I like him better than I thought I would. He say very little but speaks [only] when I say anything to him. Grandma says by and bye he’ll talk more

I like it very much here + am having a nice time. Last night grandma + I took a walk up the street + visited some of her friends. I have been walking out this afternoon. We are going on a picnic to onset pond next week + down to Martha’s Vineyard + to hear the Miss Davis the elocutionist +c. I have not been to Mr. Freedom’s yet but will go next week. Tell Jennie not to forget the courier. Tell grace I would like to slap her once. I suppose you are very lonesome. I felt a little home sick this afternoon. Will write soon, with love to all, good by

Your son,

W E Du Bois.

Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963. Letter from W. E. B. Du Bois to Mary Burghardt Du Bois, July 21, 1883. W. E. B. Du Bois Papers (MS 312). Special Collections and University Archives, University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries. https://credo.library.umass.edu/view/full/mums312-b002-i152.