Seminar: Senior Capstone

Latin American & Latino/a Studies

Land, Autonomy, and Resilience: Understanding the Power of Land in Oppression and Environmental Justice

by Darlene Valencia

Welcome to my LAS 310 Seminar: Senior Capstone project on community resilience and environmental justice in South Central Los Angeles!

My name is Darlene Valencia, and I am a recent graduate from Smith College with a degree in Latin American Studies and Economics. I am a daughter of Mexican immigrant parents and I was born and raised in South Central Los Angeles. Leaving home to pursue higher education re-emphasized a deeper value for community and collective well-being in me which motivates my everyday work. I am constantly inspired by my home community, and I carry them in all I do. This project, which aims to inform others about community resilience and inspire change in urban development, is a reflection of my love and appreciation for South Central Los Angeles, for its history but more importantly for its people.

As a case study in environmental justice and urban planning, Los Angeles has a long history of racist zoning policies and uneven access to green spaces and other resources. But despite these challenges, the city is also home to a rich network of nonprofit organizations and community groups that are working tirelessly to promote equitable access to parks, healthy food options, and safe neighborhoods. These groups are the backbone of the community resilience movement in South Central Los Angeles, and their work is a testament to the power of collective action.

In this project, I aim to shed light on the history and struggles of South Central Los Angeles, and to highlight the ways in which communities are fighting back against environmental hazards and systemic inequality. Through a series of interactive story maps, I explore themes of community resilience, land use, and environmental justice, with a particular focus on the voices and experiences of those who are most impacted by these issues. In addition to the story maps, I have also developed a workshop that serves as a tool for community organizers, neighborhood councils, policymakers, and urban planners. The workshop is designed to inform, educate, and inspire action, and is grounded in the principles of community resilience and environmental justice. By sharing the history and experiences of South Central Los Angeles, and by highlighting the work of community groups and activists, the workshop aims to empower participants to take meaningful steps towards building more resilient, just, and sustainable communities. Lastly, there is an infographic titled “6 Ways to Grow a Resilient Community” and additional resources for anyone interested in exploring more.

mission

My project aims to promote community resilience and inspire change in urban development through education, storytelling, and advocacy. I center my work in South Central Los Angeles, a historically marginalized community that has experienced environmental injustice and systemic risks. By highlighting the experiences, knowledge, and efforts of community members, my project seeks to empower and support them in their pursuit of a safe, healthy, and sustainable future. I believe that the relationship between people and land is fundamental to collective well-being and autonomy, and I strive to create spaces and resources that honor this connection. Through my story maps, workshops, and partnerships with local organizations, I hope to foster a dialogue that transcends boundaries and builds solidarity among communities fighting for environmental justice.

Acknowledgements

I would like to express my deep gratitude to the following people for their invaluable contributions to this project. First and foremost, I want to thank T.R.U.S.T South Los Angeles for their generosity in sharing their time and expertise with me. Their tireless work in building resilient communities has been a huge inspiration for this project, and I am deeply grateful for their insights and guidance. 

I would also like to thank Michelle Joffroy, Abril Navarro, and Eric Valenzuela for their unwavering support and encouragement throughout my research. Their insights and advice have been invaluable in shaping this project and deepening my understanding of community resilience and environmental justice.

Finally, I want to extend my thanks to all the community organizers around the world who inspire change every day. Your tireless work in building strong, resilient communities is a testament to the power of collective action. Thank you for all that you do.

People stand in a line that stretches for blocks to receive gifts of food, personal care and household items and toys at the Miracle in South Central event, part of the nationwide Miracle on Main Street, USA program to help working poor and disadvantaged families on December 13, 2008 in the South Central neighborhoods of Los Angeles, California. (Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

A mural in South Central Los Angeles, California is shown 28 November 2006. (HECTOR MATA/AFP via Getty Images)

A sign in the 14-acre (5.6-hectare) South Central Farm where Joan Baez and others are tree sitting in an effort to save it, 24 May 2006 in Los Angeles. Baez and activists Julia "Butterfly" Hill and John Quigley plan to stay in the tree in an effort to save the farm from development and the farmers from eviction.

A sign in the 14-acre (5.6-hectare) South Central Farm where Joan Baez and others are tree sitting in an effort to save it, 24 May 2006 in Los Angeles. (ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images)

references & Additional Resources

Next Post

Previous Post