Goodbye from Dawn Hines, Outgoing Staff Council Chair

As I reflect on my time as Chair of Smith College Staff Council, I am filled with a mix of emotions—pride, gratitude, and a tinge of sadness as I close a chapter that has been incredibly rewarding. These years have been filled with meaningful relationships, valuable opportunities, and the honor of witnessing the transformative power of collaboration within our community.

I want to express my deepest gratitude to each and every member of the Staff Council. Together, we have accomplished remarkable things, contributing to the betterment of Smith in countless ways. From advocating for the needs and concerns of staff members to spearheading events aimed at fostering inclusive community, our collective efforts have left a meaningful mark on the college.

In welcoming President Sarah Willie-LeBreton to Smith College, I had the distinct honor of articulating our collective vision for a community where diversity is not merely tolerated but embraced as a source of strength and resilience. At her inauguration, I spoke about the importance of unity amidst diversity, emphasizing that our unique narratives and perspectives are our greatest assets. I firmly believe that it is through collaboration and mutual respect that we unlock our full potential as individuals and as a community. As I transition from my role on Staff Council, I remain committed to continuing the work of building bridges and forging connections across campus.

I am also grateful for the opportunities I have had to collaborate with various departments and serve on campus committees. These experiences have broadened my understanding of the intricacies of our institution and have reinforced my belief in the power of collective action. Whether it was working on initiatives to enhance staff well-being or participating in discussions on strategic planning, each opportunity has been a valuable learning experience that has shaped my perspective and deepened my sense of belonging to the Smith College community.

While my official role on Staff Council may be coming to an end, I am eager to continue contributing to the advancement of our institution in whatever capacity I can. I know the bonds forged and lessons learned during my time on Staff Council will continue to guide me.

I extend my heartfelt thanks to all those who have supported and collaborated with me during my time on Staff Council. It has been a privilege to serve alongside such dedicated individuals, and I am grateful for the friendships forged and memories created along the way. As I step back, I do so with a deep sense of pride in our accomplishments.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve, learn, and grow.

Warmly, 

Dawn Hines