The Weird Side of Museums

Audio by Alice Matthews

Personal photo by Alice Matthews

Transcript:

The first time that I realized I loved art museums was when I was a senior in high school. We took a class field trip to Dallas to look at different galleries and museums there. And there’s this one in particular, where I was walking through and I turned the corner, and I saw in front of me a raw rotisserie chicken suspended from the ceiling. And then right above it was a lightbulb, really close to the back of the chicken, that was just slowly roasting the top of it. And then the rest of the chicken, which was still very raw, was dripping its chicken juice onto the ground. And I thought that was hilarious, and I think that was the first time that I realized art could be weird, and that I was weird. And that it was cool that I could be in a space and feel weird, but enjoy it. And I guess I had always appreciated museums, but I always thought of them as these places of cultural sophistication. So then to see this chicken totally destroying my concept of what museums were and what art was, was really cool.