Vee Fidati ’25

Art History
Atlanta, GA

Network
Fall 2022
Bristol

Upon my first visit to Lyman, my attention was caught by a cluster of succulent plants. I was immediately taken by the way it seemed to explode out of its pot, the simultaneously sharp and soft curves of the leaves, and the patterns that seemed to repeat while also maintaining their uniqueness. I set out to capture this form in the paper sculpture while abstracting it into a new object that stands independently without being a direct copy. With my sculpture’s plain, uncut base, I wanted to channel the explosiveness of the plant that initially inspired me by creating a pot-mimicry from which the rest of the sculpture grows.

Not Quite Flowers
Fall 2022
Reed, tissue paper, cork bark, and wire

This semi-floral design was inspired by a group of bromeliads growing in Lyman. Bromeliads are members of the same family as the pineapple, and they grow in several different colors and shapes, always sporting rosettes of spiky leaves. I took inspiration from the ‘Fireball Bromeliads’ species because of their red color and stout, clustered appearance. Using reed materials, I created repeating ‘petal’ shapes that used an almost rectangular form to call back to the formation of the original plant. Upon doing some research, I found that bromeliads are often mounted for display, so I utilized pieces of cork bark provided by the staff at Lyman to create a wall piece that echoes this technique.