Walton Ford, 2000-2001

screen-shot-2016-12-29-at-6-58-45-pm
Walton Ford taking a break from sketching for his color lithograph collaboration with Maurice Sanchez.
screen-shot-2017-01-16-at-12-53-35-pm
Walton selecting ink colors to be used for his new print.

Walton Ford
Maurice Sanchez, printer
2000-2001

Workshop: October 17-19, 2000

Walton Ford graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design with the intention of becoming a filmmaker; however, he later adapted his visual skills to large-scale watercolor. His images of flora and fauna both emulate and satirize John Audubon’s famous drawings of the natural world with political commentary and natural history. The impacts of colonialism and political oppression as well as the natural world are commonly explored themes in Ford’s work. He now lives and works in upstate New York.

Smith student Louise Kohrman, class of 2002, was particularly affected by her experiences during two workshops conducted with Walton Ford (two more informal workshops took place in 2001 and 2004):

What I recall most about Walton Ford is his extremely friendly, witty, and open personality. I was lucky enough to have him critique my own work and even write a recommendation for me as I was applying to graduate school at the Rhode Island School of Design where he attended school as an undergraduate. Walton was much more willing to discuss what he was doing while he worked than any other artist I had previously met. There were no secrets about his work—it seemed to come to life as he drew and talked about the narrative. I would have to say that the highlight of the second workshop was getting to participate directly in the printing process. Sponging the litho plates while Maurice Sanchez charged them with ink and Walton watched made me feel fully integrated into the collaborative process of the work.

Walton Ford. American, 1960 –

New Tricks for Ancient Wings. 2001 Lithograph printed in color on white Somerset velvet paper Sheet: 36 1/8 x 29 5/8 in.
New Tricks for Ancient Wings. 2001
Lithograph printed in color on
 white Somerset velvet paper
Sheet: 36 1/8 x 29 5/8 in.