3/8/22

by Mia Eisenberg ’24

Approximately ten minutes is how much time I have to eat my lunch and log into a zoom call describing what it is like to be a summer analyst at a well-known American bank. I never really thought about whether I even wanted to become a financial analyst or work for a large corporation, but don’t tell my mom because she would be disappointed if I became a sellout.  So would my boyfriend, but that’s another story. 

Between bites of my vegetarian chipotle bowl, I sip on a tall glass of iced tea and think about everything I need to do. I was released from isolation yesterday after six days and the thought of going back to my everyday routine is daunting. Maybe I’ll just drop out and become the next Elizabeth Holmes but without the criminal fraud conviction. 

I finished the call and decided corporate America would probably not make me satisfied. Kanye West blared through my headphones as I packed my workout bag and attempted to reorganize my room as if my executive function isn’t totally shot from my lack of caffeine and inability to remember to take my ADHD medications. 

The bliss of blasting Norah Jones helped distract me from the numerous responsibilities I have and the density of time and activity that led up to Spring Break. Though I am overwhelmed, running on maybe four and a half hours of sleep, the cyclical nature of global conflict, phone calls from distant relatives, and the familiarity of Zoom have stayed steady.