I love to hear from current and former students–please contact me via email at snewland [at] smith [dot] edu, or stop by my office (Wright 202).
Here are answers to some frequent questions:
I need a recommendation letter. What should I do?
Please look at my recommendation letter request guidelines here. In general, I ask that you request a letter at least three weeks before the submission deadline.
Are you taking new advisees?
I am accepting new advisees. Please fill out the gov department major/minor declaration form here, and the department will assign you an advisor (you may indicate a preference for particular faculty member(s) on the form).
Are you hiring research assistants? 
I regularly hire undergraduate research assistants, typically at the beginning of each semester. The students I hire are usually advanced readers of Chinese (simplified or traditional characters), and/or have taken and done well in at least one of my courses, and/or have a demonstrated interest in the politics of mainland China or Taiwan. If you are interested in getting involved in research, please email me or come to my office hours.