Demography and Security

Sciubba et al. interestingly breaks down the components of population and national security, and connects them in unique ways, showing their wide interdependence. Interestingly, this approach to environmental security appears most logical for our immediate organization of the world. In past chapters, many authors recognize the importance of states as the motivators of change, yet are leery to suggests a state focused view of the overall issue of environmental security. These concerns are greatly based off the fear of military dominated solutions. I thought this chapter was a useful in showing that this does not have to be the case, and in fact different facets of security have symbiotic relationships.

The first portion of the chapter that recognizes the shifting perspectives of the power population dynamic was very thorough. In today’s society, few recognize the population requirements for power at the state level because they are overshadowed by other factors. I thought the classification of power for a state as its ability to mobilize was an accurate interpretation. Secondly, the authors mentioned the importance for a positive breakup of demographics (quality) within the population. This section reminded me of my internship this summer in Kosovo, in which I was assigned to create an argument for increased national budget allocations to the pension and health care system for the growing ageing population. Nevertheless, this is quite a difficult task considering the priorities needed for the large youth population (with almost 50% of the population under 25, Kosovo’s demographics are unprecedented in Europe). I thought it was bold that the chapter seemed to favor the United States pension system over many European states’. Lastly, the chapter brought up the much-debated connection between the treatment of women in a society and the society’s security. The chapter did not officially state a position on the subject, but I’m convinced gender demographics and differences play a role in state security, even if not in this exact manner. I think the examples of India and China are worth further investigation.

This entry was posted in Demography and Development -- Week 6 and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.