Thinkpiece No. 1

The assigned reading for this week delves into environmental security reasoning, approaches, theories and goals. Overall, the chapters provided insight into what is ahead. Each author had different ways of formulating thoughts and reasons. The addition of figures and incorporation of history assisted to make Chapter 2: Evolution of Environment-Conflict Research and Chapter 3: Environmental Security and the Resource Curse both compelling. As some of us are, photo orientated learners, the figures incorporated in Chapter 2 and 3 were concise and clear at the same time. When a topic regarding Neo-Malthusian Outcomes of Scarcity or Ecological Marginalization, the figures cleared up the text. Chapter 3 had a layout that was easy to follow, whereas the other chapters did not have a clear methodology. Having graphs with quantitative and qualitative matter was important.

The “how” that occurs when identifying scarcities and the reason behind them happening was of interest. Although these environmental scarcities happen, there are interventions that prove to be effective, that can assist with the needs. It is interesting to understand the why and the how these interventions are used to control certain variables. (Deligiannis, 51) Even though, solutions for environmental security are not all simple, in fact, none are, it is noteworthy to grasp the amount of time and energy people spend for this topic. When reading all of this, mostly I was thinking about why does violence from environmental insecurity happen more in some geographic locations opposed to others. It make me think more about the unpinning of the factors and “brutal acts” which take place.

If I were to go further into depth on a broad topic, I would want to try to understand the social changes that occur from the transformation of the natural environment. I am also interested in the wealth distributions that occur with the frequency of scarcity which leading to insecurity. Connecting environmental security back to how resources are distributed and how they are regulated is also a broad topic that is of curiosity. Overall, finding out in which ways security is considered to be a performative speech act, will be fascinating.

This entry was posted in Resource Scarcity/Abundance - Week 1. Bookmark the permalink.