雪女

level4_vol1_yukionna

「雪女」はちょっと怖くて切ない話だ。主人公の巳之吉は普通の人で、真面目に働いて穏やかな日々を送っている。しかし、雪女にあって仕事仲間の死を目撃した途端に話の雰囲気が変わる。巳之吉は普通に生き続けようとする。普通に結婚して、普通に子供をもって年を取っていく。それでも、雪女のことを思い出したら、彼の人生がまた異常な方向に…。このサスペンスに満ちた話は以外に悲しくて興味深かった。

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wanted to read an eerie, gripping story that goes beyond the usual “happily-ever-after.” I am not that good with scary stories, but this book had just enough scary elements to keep me on the edge of my seat without making me want to put it down. There are a decent number of kanji, but the illustrations and dialogue make the plot pretty easy to follow, so I think an advanced second-year Japanese student could read and enjoy it.

One Reply to “雪女”

1. I am glad to find a review of an “eerie” story! Based on your description of the balance of kanji and other elements, this sounds like a perfect fit for my reading level, which as you theorized is upper-level second-year Japanese. I also appreciate that you did not spoil too much of the plot in your description, so there is still plot for readers to discover on their own. Even better, I like that you gave different information in your Japanese and English descriptions!
    Thank you for your review!